TheTrolls.net

It's poultry month!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:22 pm 

I was going to bash her for being a kook..but she really just embodies all that is female. Flighty, irrational.. And she won a lot of money.

Craziest damn strategy I have ever heard of.

Quote:
One, out of nearly three million Yahoo! Tourney Pick 'Em submissions, unbelievably basked in glory. …

Unbeknown to many of the approximately 300 students at Jefferson High School outside Salem, Ore., is a humble librarian with unmatched basketball foresight. Not only a master of the Dewey Decimal System and moves on the pitch — she also coaches girls soccer — Diana Inch is the only person in the entire Yahoo! universe to accurately predict all four Final Four teams, an almost impossible task this year.

RA: Out of roughly 3 million Yahoo! entries, you are the only person to correctly forecast the Final Four. What was your strategy?

Diana: I named this bracket "Di's 711 XV Dogs & Cats" to guide my selections.

I like the numbers 7 and 11, the letters XV (and, although I didn't include it, Q is another favorite letter). Some states I favor (the folks I meet from Michigan have usually been fun-loving, and my birthfather's family might be from there) while other states leave me underwhelmed. I love cheering for underdogs and teams that NEVER GIVE UP, always giving their best efforts no matter the score. In desperation, I sometimes went with the seed *closest* to a 7 or 11, or a team that had an AP ranking that might indicate an edge.

RA: Do you have a particular allegiance to any school in this year's field? Are you a proud graduate of VCU? What convinced you the Rams were championship material? What about Butler?

Diana: VCU is an awesome 11-seed that I had watched in their play-in game; they impressed me with their teamwork, hustle and skills. The Rams looked tough from the start. Shaka Smart, the VCU coach had his own following (my condolences on the passing of his grandfather), the team played aggressively, PLUS their mascot had FOUR LEGS so was closer to a dog/cat than the Boilermakers, Peacocks, Aggies, Seminoles, Irish and Zips... I had to look up what Boilermakers (not the drink) and Zips were... which is why, in my bracket, VCU totally deserved to be in my Final Four!

As for the Butler Bulldogs (DOG!), they are a skilled and disciplined team, with a classy, tactically sound, young, knowledgeable coach whose mostly reserved countenance reminded me of our high school girls coach. Plus, both Brad Stevens and Jeff Rhoades have four letters in their first names, and seven letters in their last names, 4 + 7 = 11.

RA: Though it's never happened before in tournament history, you had three No. 16 seeds toppling Goliath (No. 1 seeds). Why?

Diana: DOGS: 16 Boston U Terriers (over Kansas), UNC Asheville Bulldogs (over Pitt) (also has a V in the name);
BIRD vs. SEED 16 UTSA Roadrunners would eat seeds/buckeyes (Ohio St.).

RA: You have UConn defeating Butler in the championship game. Why the Huskies?

Diana: We like huskies — Bryan and I have been Huskies at the University of Washington and St. Cloud State University, Minn. The UConn mascot has the pleasant face of our almost 14-year-old dog "Z" (short for Z39.50 the International Standard of Operation for Libraries), and our other dog "LC" (short for Library of Congress; no need to fret, we don't have children)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 am 

That was wierd